Here’s mum’s mutton curry that she would cook every Friday 🙂
It’s absolutely delicious and goes with rice, roti, bread or event ragi balls! Do try it out 🙂
- Mutton – 500 gms
- Thinly sliced onion – 2 medium
- Tomatoes – 2 medium
- Potatoes – 2 medium
- Fenugreek /Methi leaves – 1 small bunch
- Lilva beans – 1/2 cup
- Slit green chilies – 3-4
- Coriander leaves finely chopped – 2 tbsp
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 1/2 tsp
- Grated Coconut – 4 tbsp
- Yogurt – 2 tbsp
- Red chili powder – 1 1/2tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1/4 tsp
- Cloves – 2
- Cinnamon – 1 small stick
- Bay leaf – 1
- Cardamom – 2
- Oil – 6tbsp
- Salt – as required
- Wash the mutton thoroughly. Marinate with yogurt, 1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste, green chili, about 2 tbsp each of thinly sliced onion and tomatoes, 1/2 tsp red chili powder, 1/2 tsp of coriander powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder and salt.
- Heat oil in the cooker. Add cloves, cinnamon, cardamom and bay leaf. Now add the thinly sliced onions and cook until they are golden brown. Meanwhile, grind tomatoes and grated coconut together. Add the ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes. Now add the ground tomatoes and coconut and fry well till the masala forms a lump and oil separates.
- Add the marinated mutton pieces and fry well till the water is dried up and all the raw smell goes.
- Now add the remaining red chili powder and coriander powder . Finely chop the methi leaves and add. Fry Add some water and close the cooker. Cook for about 15 minutes on low flame after 3 whistles depending on how tender the mutton is. Switch off stove.
- Peel and cut the potatoes into big pieces. Open the cooker, add the potatoes and lilva beans. Mix well . Now add in coriander leaves. Adjust salt if required. Close the cooker and cook for 2 whistles.
- Serve hot with plain rice, ghee rice or roti.
- If you want to cook in an open vessel, add the potatoes and lilva beans once the mutton is cooked about 60 – 70%.
Pingback: Rice puri with mutton curry – Noor's Recipes
I would always fuss about eating Mutton! But, Mummy’s mutton curry is something to devour! Miss it now…