• Button Mushrooms – 500 grams
• Finely chopped Onions – ½ Cup
• Finely chopped Garlic – 9-1- large cloves
• Olive Oil – 3-4 tbsp
• Extra Virgin Chili Pepper Olive Oil – 1-2 tbsp (optional)
• Fresh Thyme – 1 tbsp
• Finely chopped Parsley – few springs
• Black Pepper Powder – 1 tsp
• Salt as required Method:
• Wash the mushrooms thoroughly, strain the water and immediately pat dry. This helps the mushroom from blackening. I like to remove the stems completely. You can just trim them.
• Heat 3-4 tbsp of olive oil in a pan.
• Add finely chopped onions and saute for a minute.
• Add the finely chopped garlic and saute for another minute.
• Now add the mushrooms and fry well until they are lightly roasted.
• Once they are lightly roasted, add salt and black pepper powder.
• Continue to cook them until they are done on low flame for about 10 minutes uncovered.
• About 5 minutes into cooking, add the fresh thyme and finely chopped parsley. You can add more and any herbs you like.
• Lastly, add in extra virgin chili pepper olive oil depending on your spice level and mix.
• Serve hot with some Alfredo pasta and a piece of chicken or with some rice and fish or any other combinations you may like.
Mum’s Rava Idlis were always a treat. With yummy chutney and hot rava idlis, weekend breakfasts were just delightful 🙂
Do try them out! Kids will enjoy every bite!
Rava Idli Image Credit: Mujahid Khaleel
Rava – 11/2 cups
Curd – 3 cups
Finely chopped onion – 1 large
Green chilies finely chopped – 3-4
Coriander leaves – 1 cup
Carrot grated – 1/2
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Chana dal – 1 tsp
Urad dal – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 7-8
Soda – 1 pinch
Oil – 1 tbsp + 1 big ladle
Salt as required
Roast the rava with 1 tbsp oil for less than 5 minutes and make sure there are no lumps. Do not burn.
Heat 1 big ladle oil in a Kadai. Add mustard seeds. Once they stop spluttering add chana dal, urad dal. After a few seconds add onion, green chilies, curry leaves and salt. Fry till this onions are translucent.
Now add the rava and fry for sometime. Do not burn.
Removed from heat and allow to cool.
Now add curd. If the curd is too thick, add a little water. Curd and water together should be 3 cups. The batter should be same as Idli batter ( neither thick nor thin) consistency. First add 21/2 cups, then slowly add the 1/2 cup. If you still feel the batter is thick, add a little water and adjust.
Add the grated carrot.
Add soda. Add coriander leaves after a minute or 2. If added immediately, the coriander leaves turn black.
Pour in Idli container and steam for 10 – 15 minutes.
Rava Idli Image Credit: Mujahid khaleel
Garnish with thinly sliced cherry tomatoes and grated carrots if you like.
Looks attractive and kids would love to eat these mini rava idlis. Serve with any chutney, chutney podi or vegetable Saagu.