Cinco De Mayo Or the 5th of May is a holiday to celebrate the victory of the Mexican’s Army over with the French at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. Mexicans celebrate this day with their traditional and authentic recipes.
I love Mexican food and trying new recipes just like mom. Here’s a recipe of my version of Lamb Tacos.
Hard Taco Shells – 8
Minced Lamb / Kheema – 500 gms
Finely chopped onion – 1 medium sized
Finely chopped tomato – 1 large
Ginger-Garlic paste – 1 tsp
Taco seasoning – 3 -4 tbsp
Taco Sauce – 1 cup
Lettuce chopped – 2 cups
Cherry tomatoes – 12 -15
Grated cheddar /mozzarella cheese – 1 cup
Oil – 2 tbsp
Salt as required
Heat 2 tbsp oil in a kadai / wok
Add finely chopped onions and fry till slightly brown
Add ginger-garlic paste and fry until golden brown
Now, add the finely chopped tomatoes and cook till soft
Add the kheema and fry well for 2 minutes
Add the taco seasoning about 3-4 tbsp and salt as required
Cook on medium flame until kheema is done
Meanwhile, pre-heat the oven at 350 degree Fahrenheit. Place the tacos on a baking tray and bake for about 5 minutes. This is done just to heat the tacos.
Add some kheema/ minced lamb mixture to the taco
Add some taco sauce, lettuce, tomatoes, and gated cheese. I also like to add some Mayo.
You can also add an array of toppings like avocado, sour cream, mustard sauce, jalapeño, guacamole, cilantro, olives and list goes on.
• Button Mushrooms – 500 grams
• Finely chopped Onions – ½ Cup
• Finely chopped Garlic – 9-1- large cloves
• Olive Oil – 3-4 tbsp
• Extra Virgin Chili Pepper Olive Oil – 1-2 tbsp (optional)
• Fresh Thyme – 1 tbsp
• Finely chopped Parsley – few springs
• Black Pepper Powder – 1 tsp
• Salt as required Method:
• Wash the mushrooms thoroughly, strain the water and immediately pat dry. This helps the mushroom from blackening. I like to remove the stems completely. You can just trim them.
• Heat 3-4 tbsp of olive oil in a pan.
• Add finely chopped onions and saute for a minute.
• Add the finely chopped garlic and saute for another minute.
• Now add the mushrooms and fry well until they are lightly roasted.
• Once they are lightly roasted, add salt and black pepper powder.
• Continue to cook them until they are done on low flame for about 10 minutes uncovered.
• About 5 minutes into cooking, add the fresh thyme and finely chopped parsley. You can add more and any herbs you like.
• Lastly, add in extra virgin chili pepper olive oil depending on your spice level and mix.
• Serve hot with some Alfredo pasta and a piece of chicken or with some rice and fish or any other combinations you may like.