• Button Mushrooms – 500 grams
• Finely chopped Onions – ½ Cup
• Finely chopped Garlic – 9-1- large cloves
• Olive Oil – 3-4 tbsp
• Extra Virgin Chili Pepper Olive Oil – 1-2 tbsp (optional)
• Fresh Thyme – 1 tbsp
• Finely chopped Parsley – few springs
• Black Pepper Powder – 1 tsp
• Salt as required Method:
• Wash the mushrooms thoroughly, strain the water and immediately pat dry. This helps the mushroom from blackening. I like to remove the stems completely. You can just trim them.
• Heat 3-4 tbsp of olive oil in a pan.
• Add finely chopped onions and saute for a minute.
• Add the finely chopped garlic and saute for another minute.
• Now add the mushrooms and fry well until they are lightly roasted.
• Once they are lightly roasted, add salt and black pepper powder.
• Continue to cook them until they are done on low flame for about 10 minutes uncovered.
• About 5 minutes into cooking, add the fresh thyme and finely chopped parsley. You can add more and any herbs you like.
• Lastly, add in extra virgin chili pepper olive oil depending on your spice level and mix.
• Serve hot with some Alfredo pasta and a piece of chicken or with some rice and fish or any other combinations you may like.
Dry fruits Mix (Almonds, Cashews, Raisins, Walnuts, Pistachio)s – ½ Cup
Tutti Frutti – ½ Cup
Milk – ¼ Cup
Spice powder – 1 tsp
Keep all ingredients ready with the above mentioned measurements before you start preparing the cake.
If you do not have castor sugar, run the sugar in a food processor or mixer for a few seconds to make superfine sugar, (make sure not to powder it) then measure. Here you will need 1 ¼ cup. You can also use 1 ¼ cup of granulated sugar instead of castor sugar.
Sieve Maida/All-Purpose Flour, baking powder, Spice powder thrice so that all are thoroughly mixed. Mix in the dry fruits and tutti frutti.
Soften the butter before beating. Do not melt.
Eggs should be at room temperature. If refrigerated, keep them out for about an hour before baking.
Grease the bread tin with butter and dust with Maida/All-Purpose Flour, so that the cake comes off easily once baked. You can also use cooking spray.
Place the bread tin on the parchment paper, trace it and cut it out, then place it on the bottom of the bread tin.
Preheat the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Beat butter and sugar in a bowl till light and fluffy. Make sure to beat in one direction.
Separate the egg whites and yolks.
Beat the egg whites with a hand-mixer until stiff peaks are formed.
Beat well the egg yolks with vanilla essence.
Add the beaten egg yolk to the butter-sugar and mix well. Do not allow the mixture to curdle. To this, slowly fold in the beaten egg whites with a rubber spatula.
Instead of separating the egg whites and yolks and then beating them, you can add the whole eggs one by one, beating them well each time.
Add 1/2 of the sieved flour to the butter-sugar-egg mixture and fold in. Add some milk and fold slowly. Now repeat the same with the remaining flour and milk.
Pour this mixture into the bread tin and bake for about 1 ½ hours. Time may vary for each oven.
Add cherries and tutti frutti on the top.
Check after 1 hour. If it is browning too much, place aluminum foil on the top and cook for the remaining minutes.
Check if the cake is baked with a tooth pick. The cake is done if it comes out clean.
Remove from oven and place it on a wire rack and allow it to cool.
Blanch the almonds peel and chop. Chop the cashews and pistachios as well.
Heat ghee in a pan and add grated carrots. Sauté for about 10 minutes.
Add milk and cardamom powder and cook on medium heat till the milk evaporates and carrots are cooked. Add sugar (you can add more sugar if you want depending on your taste) and khoya and cook till the sugar melts, stirring continuously.
Again continue to cook until it forms a lump and the ghee starts to separate.
In a small pan, add ghee and roast the almonds, pistachios and cashews. In the end, add the raisins and roast for a few more seconds and add it to the halwa.
Make sure you don’t burn them. Serve hot with vanilla ice cream or just enjoy the gajar halwa as it is.