Here’s a lip smacking and simply delicious snack that is a great alternative for potato.
Mum would make the easy yet tasty arbi fries that we would relish. Do try it out 🙂
- Arbi /colocasia – 10-12
- Red chili powder as required
- Oil for deep fry
- Salt as required
- Wash the arbi thoroughly and boil them in a pressure cooker for 2 whistles
- Peel them and cut them into thick strips. If the arbis are small and round, just cut them into half
- Deep fry. Sprinkle some salt and red chili powder and toss the arbi
- Enjoy when hot
First prepare the Masala Vada.
- Chana dal – 1 cup
- Dill leaves – 1 cup
- Green chillies – 5
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Onion- 1 medium sized
- Curry leaves – 7-8
- Coriander leaves
- Salt as required
- Soak Chana for about 3 hours
- Grind 1 tbsp Chana dal, green chilli ,ginger and salt into smooth paste
- Coarsely grind rest of the Chana dal. Finely chop the onion, dill leaves, coriander leaves and curry leaves and add it to the ground Chana dal.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Make small balls out of the mixture and flatten them. Deep fry on medium heat on both sides till golden and crispy.
- Drain and Keep aside.
Then prepare the Kadhi.
- Sour yogurt – 2 cups
- Gram flour / besan – 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala – 1/4 tsp
- Ginger garlic paste – 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds- 3/4 tsp
- Methi seeds – 5-6
- Curry Leaves – 6-8
- Oil- 1-2 tbsp
- Mix yogurt, besan and all the powders and whisk well.
- Heat 1-2 tbsp of oil in a kadai, add mustard seeds , methi seeds, curry leaves and ginger garlic paste
- Sauté for a minute. Add the yogurt mixture.
- Cook for sometime until it thickens, stirring continuously on low flame. You can add a little water if you don’t want it too thick.
- Once the kadhi is done , add the Masala vada and serve immediately with hot rice.